Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Grand Canyon



South Kaibab Trail, Grand Canyon

OK, OK, I know you are all heartily sick of pictures of bits of rock and sand so I'll make this the last one.

We ended up the trip by spending a couple of days exploring the Grand Canyon area. I'd never been there before so for me it was a great experience to actually see this place first-hand and close-up. It really is a remarkable sight, and on a scale that's hard to fathom even when you are there. Plus, the visibility was quite remarkable. In one location a view board pointed out a mountain, sitting in plain sight on the horizon, that was 90 miles away ....

Alas, we didn't really have time to do much in the way of serious hiking but did do a part of the Bright Angel trail and, as shown above, the South Kaibab. (Next time I'd certainly like to do more of that trail. You can get all the way down to the Colorado river but that's a fair old hike being as how it's around 13 miles there-and-back including some 4,800 feet elevation change.)

Overall we had a great trip, and closing out at the Grand Canyon was a fine way to end it. Heartily recommended (but then I'm sure most of you have already been there way before me!)

2 comments:

tom said...

Nice pix! Just thought you might enjoy my Bay Area hiking blog, http://www.twoheeldrive.com ... I post a weekly hike description w/pix after most weekend hikes in the area.

Stop on in if you've got a minute...

regards
tom

J said...

Will do - and thanks for the feedback!