Sunday, April 19, 2009

33 And Counting


Y Travel?

Bored, having an hour to run between ARN and LHR, and having read everything to hand that was readable, I decided to try and work out how many trips I’ve done overseas in the past few years. Handily, I had my passport in my pocket and saw that it’s almost exactly 5 years to the day since it was issued.

I found a total of 33 re-entry stamps to the US, and given that I’ve only been to Canada once in that time – and even then I’m not sure they stamped it - then they are all recording long-haul flights. Given that these trips are therefore either to Europe, the Far East and even Africa, I reckon that makes for a total anywhere between 350,000 and 450,000 miles.

Upon reflection, I’m not sure I needed to know that, and it likely means I have a personal carbon footprint matched only by that accumulated by the Chinese state power generating board over the same period of time, but somewhat less usefully.

And by the time you read this, it will have clocked up to 34, with every chance of being 36 by June.

Shouldn’t that merit some reward more impressive than a large balance of air miles in multiple accounts and an intimate knowledge of BA’s seasonal menu roster in economy class?

No comments: